Issue 179, September 1999
PDF Download (2.84 Mb)
COVER: The "business end" of the first bi-level control cab car, Chicago & North West-ern
151, is an impressive sight as it sits in the springtime sun on Station Track 2 at Union.
After its donation by Metra, this car and two older bi-level coaches were repainted and
renumbered in their C&NW liveries before shipment to the Museum. (Note the "old"
Metra car number still on the interior bulkhead door in this April photograph.) The
acquisition and restoration of these historic cars is the subject of Dave Phillips’ cover
story in this issue. Photo by Peter Schmidt
- C&NW Gallery Cars by Dave Phillips
- Even with a Cab Car, You Still Need A Locomotive! by Peter Schmidt
- Bi-Level Restoration Continues at Union by John Howell
- Electric Car Department Update Staff Report
- Progress & Setbacks at the Strahorn Library by Barbara Lanphier
- IRM's Vision to the Future by James D. Johnson
Rail & Wire is issued as a benifit of the membership in the Illinois Railway Museum, a
not for profit, educational organization. Membership information
and application forms are available here.