- Major Work On 763
- From Rail & Wire Issue 185, September 2000
Bruce Lampson shows rust damage near the
763's stepwells. Photo by Greg Heier.
Bruce has jacked up the 763 high enough so
that its truck may be rolled out for rebuilding. Photo by Greg Heier.
Working on a major restoration grant from the
Elliott Donnelley Foundation, Bruce Lampson is heading
up a rebuilding of North Shore Line coach 763.
The car, which was built in 1930 by the Standard Car
Company, was one of the last order of 25 non-streamlined
interurban cars built for the CNS&M. The
103,800-pound interurban was rebuilt into a Silverliner
car in March of 1958. The Silverliner cars were
painted with simulated fluted "shadow-striping" to
resemble the stainless steel fluted siding of the streamliners
on the Class One roads. After the North Shore
Line's abandonment in 1963, the 763 was sold to The
Wisconsin Electric Railway Historical Society. That
museum painted the car in an incorrect Greenliner
scheme and used it in passenger service on their East
Troy to Mukwonago museum railway. They eventually
sidelined the car when it needed mechanical work.
Illinois Railway Museum purchased the car from
TWERHS in 1988 along with a number of other North
Shore Line and Milwaukee Electric cars. GHH
Bruce is presently working on a tear-down and rebuilding
of one of the 763's trucks. Bruce jokes about it and calls it
"the ultimate model railroad kit." Photo by Greg Heier.