Barn 6 is temporarily closed to the public.
Barn 6 is one of our train exhibit buildings, or barns. In Barn 6 you’ll find interurban cars, freight equipment, and maintenance equipment from electric railways in the Chicago area and from across the Midwest. Exhibits in Barn 6 include:
- The elegant Talisman, a 1906 interurban parlor car that features stained glass windows and gold leaf lettering
- North Shore Line caboose 1003, which you can walk through to see how conductors managed their freight trains
- The only surviving 1920s “Wickerliner” electric cars from the Illinois Central suburban line, today known as Metra Electric
- Distinctive electric locomotives known as “steeplecabs”
- A North Shore Line interurban car known as a “Silverliner” painted with a unique faux stainless steel livery
Our Barn 6 exhibit barn is open for self-guided tours whenever the museum is open. Barn 6 is located at the southeast corner of Central Avenue and Depot Street, right across from the Central Diner annex.