Hours and Admission Info 2022
IRM is closed for the winter. We will reopen in April 2022.
Before you visit, even if you have been a regular visitor in the past, please take the time to review the following procedures and policies. There are significant changes from the way that the Museum has operated in the past. We expect these will be temporary, and we intend to modify them in phases as both health conditions and regulations permit.
Our Promise and Our Expectations
The Museum is committed to providing the experience our regular visitors know and love while observing all applicable guidance of the civil authorities, and the health and safety of our visitors, members and staff remains foremost. We appreciate everyone’s understanding and cooperation in making our full reopening a success.
Our visitors and members help us ensure the health and safety of all by agreeing to the following:
- Visitors and members are invitees to private property and, as such, are required to follow all of our policies.
- Visitors and members that have been exposed to COVID-19 within the past 14 days or have symptoms of COVID-19 (including a fever, cough, or shortness of breath) must not visit.
- We recognize that no practical level of precautions can provide absolute security against infection. Visitors and members that have underlying health conditions or are otherwise concerned about contracting COVID-19 should consider whether or not they are comfortable visiting the Museum.
New and Updated Policies Currently in Place
- The Museum encourages you to pre-purchase tickets. Advance reservations are required for groups. Tickets are available either through www.irm.org or by calling the Museum office at 815-923-4391.
- Contactless check-in of pre-purchased tickets will be conducted by staff at our main parking lot entry booth.
- To facilitate contactless check in, members will need a new-style plastic membership card. To speed your first visit, apply for the new-style card in advance. It will then be ready for you at the gate.
- Seating capacity on our trains is now at 100%.
- People who are fully vaccinated are no longer required to wear a face covering or socially distance when outdoors. Everyone, vaccinated or not, must wear a mask inside all buildings, including the train exhibit barns. This is pursuant to the state mandate put into effect starting August 30, 2021.
- Those who are not fully vaccinated are expected to practice social distancing and wear a face covering at ALL times on Museum property, except when dining.
- As all railroad operations (including ours) are regulated by the Federal government, DOT and TSA regulations for public transportation supersede state regulations and also apply to the Museum’s trains. Therefore, like CTA and Metra, we must still require face coverings for everyone ages 2 and up (unless unable to do so because of a disability, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act) aboard our trains. Please bring your own face covering and wear it whenever riding. All face coverings should:
1. Fully cover your nose and mouth and allow you to remain hands-free.
2. Fit snugly but comfortably against the side of the face.
3. Consist of breathable material, either disposable or reusable.
- Anyone subject to these regulations unwilling to wear a face covering will not be permitted to board trains.
- Our children’s playground is now open.
- Hand sanitizing stations are located throughout the property. Additionally, our public restrooms remain available for hand washing. Please take advantage of these opportunities as often as you can.
- Our Diner is open weekends during mid-summer only. Menu selections and operating hours are limited to ensure quality standards. On weekdays, snacks are available at the Gift Store and beverages from vending machines. In addition, you are welcome to bring your own food and enjoy a picnic on one of the many tables around the campus. The Central Diner has closed for 2021.
Hours and Admission Information
Trains are currently scheduled to operate on the following dates only:
Saturdays: April 30 — October 29
Sundays: April 24 — October 30
Weekdays: May 30 — September 2
The museum is not open year-round. Please check our calendar for a complete list of dates the museum is open.
Museum Hours and Admission Prices
Weekends May through October, and Special Event days: Electric cars and steam or diesel trains operate hourly 11:00am-4:00pm, or more often as needed, and streetcars operate on the streetcar loop 11:00am-4:00pm as needed
April 24, 30, and Weekdays May 31-September 2 (except holidays) : Electric cars operate hourly 11:00am-3:00pm (weekdays) or 11:00am-4:00pm (weekends)
On open days, the Museum grounds open at 10:00am and close one hour after the last train departure unless otherwise announced.
On open days, the parking lot opens at 9:30am and closes 30 minutes after the grounds close.
Hours and admission rates for special events may differ; check calendar listing for details. Special fare events require a separate ticket.
( Tickets are good for unlimited rides – prices not applicable on Special Fare Days)
|Weekdays (except holidays)||$TBA||$TBA||$TBA|
|Weekends – April and October||$TBA||$TBA||$TBA|
|Weekends – May through September||$TBA||$TBA||$TBA|
*Children ages 2-11; children younger than 2 are free and do not need a ticket
Chartered trains are available on dates the museum is open and may be available on certain other dates. For charter information, click here or write to the Charter Director, IRM, PO Box 427, Union, IL 60180.
For further information, telephone 815-923-4000 or 1-800-BIG-RAIL.
To find driving directions and information on reaching the museum via public transit click here.
Food service is available at the Central Diner weekends between mid-June and early October with a limited menu. There is currently no food service on weekdays. However you are welcome to bring your own food any day the museum is open.
Central Diner hours are 11am-4pm on weekends and 11am-3pm on weekdays. The Central Diner currently closed for 2021.
All equipment, schedules, and prices subject to change without notice.
SPECIAL EVENTS FOR 2022
Events listed below are subject to modification or cancellation due to health and safety regulations. Please check back on our website 1-2 weeks in advance of each event.
April 9, 10 & 16 – Saturdays – Bunny Trolley Hop
Ride the streetcar to meet the Easter Bunny and help him find his eggs! Special Fare Event. No passes honored for this event. Check website for opening times.
May 8 – Sunday – Mother’s Day
All Moms admitted free when accompanied by at least one full fare paying child or adult.
May 14 – Saturday – Scout Day
Boy Scout and Girl Scout troops participate in a day-long event. The day includes a flag ceremony, awarding of badges, and participating in various projects, as well as touring the Museum.
May 28, 29 & 30 – Saturday, Sunday & Monday – Memorial Day Weekend
The summer begins! Steam or Diesel and Electric trains will operate all three days. During this event, active Military personnel and their families admitted FREE with military ID.
June 4 & 5 – Saturday & Sunday – Railway Post Office (RPO) Weekend
Operations and Demonstrations of Railway Post Office railway cars with on-the-fly mail pickups. See how railroads played a major role in the handling of the U.S. Mail.
June 18 – Saturday – Chicago Day
Commemorate the 64th anniversary of the last day of streetcar service in Chicago by riding railroad and transit equipment from the Windy City.
June 19 – Sunday – Father’s Day
All Dads admitted free when accompanied by at least one full fare paying child or adult.
July 2, 3 & 4 – Saturday, Sunday & Monday – Trolley Weekend
Vintage traction equipment will operate each day including streetcars, interurbans, rapid transit cars, and non-revenue equipment. There will be great photo opportunities for the traction fan! You will also be able to ride some of this equipment on the mainline and streetcar line. Weekend fares apply on Monday, July 4th.
July 9, 10, 16 & 17 – Saturdays & Sundays – Day Out With Thomas™
Join Thomas, Percy, Sir Topham Hatt, and all your friends for a magical visit to the Isle of Sodor! Ride the train with your favorite blue engine, see live shows and presentations, join in hands-on activities, and more. Special Fare Event. No passes honored for this event. Check website for opening times.
August 7 – Sunday – Vintage Transport Extravaganza
The past comes alive through the display of antique autos, trucks, fire engines, tractors, motorcycles and buses – hundreds of vehicles assemble throughout the Museum campus. Ride the streetcars to the various display areas. Interurbans and diesel coach trains will also be running on the mainline. This event only: Call 815-923-4391 for information about displaying your vintage vehicle. Or download a PDF of the registration form (coming soon).
August 12, 13 & 14 – Friday, Saturday & Sunday – Diesel Days
Rarely-seen vintage diesels will operate in a variety of combinations and roles. Take a ride on a coach train and a caboose train pulled by one of these powerful giants. There are also many great photo opportunities for the diesel fan! Weekend fares apply on Friday, August 12th.
September 3, 4 & 5 – Saturday, Sunday & Monday – Labor Day Weekend
Join us for three days and two evenings of fun! Enjoy a twilight train ride, one of the most immersive experiences we offer. Pack a picnic, ride the trains and enjoy the last days of summer! Extended hours Saturday and Sunday to 9:30pm.
September 17 & 18 – Saturday & Sunday – Museum Showcase Weekend
Celebrate the Museum collection and honor the members who make it work! Ride and see some of the less frequently run equipment at IRM. Bring your camera and enjoy the weekend!
September 24 – Saturday – Bus Day
Where the rubber meets the road. Join us for trolley bus and motor bus rides and see other buses that will be open and on display.
October 1-2 – Saturday & Sunday – Steam into Fall
Step back in time as you enjoy the bucolic McHenry County countryside during autumn from the window of a steam train.
October 22, 23, 29 & 30 – Saturdays & Sundays – Pumpkin Train
Pick up your pumpkin by train and enjoy some Halloween-themed family fun. Kids encouraged to come in costume during this event!
November 25, 26 & 27, December 3, 4, 10, 11, 17 & 18 – Saturdays & Sundays – Happy Holiday Railway
Embark on a magical train ride through the winter countryside with Santa Claus himself! Enjoy warm treats on the train, and kids on Santa’s “good list” will receive a special gift. Special Fare Event. No passes honored for this event. Check website for opening times.
Date TBA – Saturday & Sunday – Steam Engineer Experience
See what it’s like to be the engineer on a real steam engine! Take your turn at the throttle of Shay 5 for an unforgettable experience.
For further information, call us at 815-923-4000 or 1-800-BIG-RAIL
All equipment, schedules, and prices subject to change without notice.