Electric Freight Equipment
Chicago North Shore & Milwaukee 229
|Description:||Double-truck wood freight motor|
North Shore Line 229 is an electric freight motor that was built to carry small freight shipments (known as LCL, or Less-than-Car-Load, freight) between Chicago and Milwaukee. During the 1950s and early 1960s it was used by the North Shore Line as a switcher and locomotive to move cars around its shop complex at Highwood, IL.
FUN FACT: It’s not unknown for railroad shop facilities to have pets. Cats in particular are useful for controlling vermin. But how about an interurban car? Car 229 was considered to be the “pet” at Highwood Shops, where it was doted on by the shop forces who kept it in top mechanical and cosmetic condition as a point of pride.
Builder: Cincinnati Car Company
Year Built: 1922
Height: 12ft 4in
Weight: 82660 lbs
Motors: 4 WH 557R5
Trucks: Baldwin 78-35AA
Description: Double End / Double Truck / Wood Box
Condition: Complete / unrestored / operational
1922-1963 – Chicago North Shore & Milwaukee
1963-present – Illinois Railway Museum, Union, IL