The Illinois Railway Museum has launched a smartphone app, IRM eCard, to enhance the experience of its visitors. The app is free to download, both for museum members and non-members, and is available today in the Apple App Store and via Google Play. IRM eCard includes several features to make visits to the museum more convenient and informative, including:
- A digital map of the museum including points of interest
- The ability to immediately access admission tickets or membership information, purchase tickets, and purchase or renew memberships
- Interactive content such as self-guided tours of Barns 3 and 9, with more exhibit buildings to be added soon
- Access to Rail & Wire Magazine on the go
- The daily menu at the Central Diner
- Special members-only discounts and notifications regarding upcoming events and exhibits
Besides making visits more convenient by incorporating membership card and ticket information, IRM eCard improves the museum’s educational outreach by offering additional historical and educational content. The app serves as an informational tour guide for anyone visiting the museum and touring the train exhibit buildings. Museum visitors can dive more deeply into the stories behind the trains by discovering fascinating articles and historic highlights during self-guided tours.
The IRM eCard app is free for everyone and is available for download via links on the museum website or by searching “IRM eCard” in any device’s app store. Museum members and those with an existing IRM website account can register using their current email address. Others can set up an account directly in the app.