The Illinois Railway Museum (IRM) is celebrating its 70th anniversary in 2023 with a number of special and expanded events throughout the year. Many of these events are unique to this anniversary-year celebration, so the public is encouraged to take advantage of these opportunities where special equipment is scheduled to run and expanded operating days and hours are planned. There are no additional fares for these anniversary events.
In addition to free admission throughout the year, members also receive regular issues of the Museum’s newsletter, Rail & Wire, which will contain special articles and features for the 70th anniversary.
IRM was founded in 1953 by ten men who wanted to preserve one interurban car, and over the last 70 years has expanded into the largest collection of its kind on the continent with over 500 pieces of preserved equipment, over half a dozen preserved historic buildings, and a five mile demonstration railroad — all supported by a volunteer corps with a variety of life experiences and interests. These volunteers work together to further IRM in its mission to educate the public and create meaningful connections.
Special and Expanded 70th Anniversary Events Include:
- North Shore Line Day – Saturday, January 21
- Cabin Fever Day – Sunday, January 22
- Chicago Trolley Coach Day – Saturday, March 25
- 50’s Day – Saturday, June 10
- 70 for 70 Trolley Pageant – Saturday, July 1
- Labor Day Weekend – Friday, September 1 through Monday, September 4
- “Non-Stop” Museum Showcase Weekend – Saturday and Sunday, September 16 & 17